"We become what we think about." ~ Earl Nightingale

Welcome to Sacred Ruminations

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,


Monday, January 7, 2008

Monday Musings


I've been thinking of my mom today as I've done several loads of laundry and a few other chores around the house. Having neglected these tasks in favor of blogging lately, I'm feeling a wee bit guilty though I often choose to release worry and guilt these days (after cultivating this new habit over time) so I'm not likely to lose any sleep over it. I've enjoyed learning to do new things, meeting new people through their blogs, experimenting with sharing previous writings from my journals, discovering comments, and responding from the heart. Some days I spend more time at the computer than I'd care to admit. My life is so much easier than hers. She never worked outside the home because my Dad didn't want her too, and she did have three kids to raise once I appeared on the scene.

Mom always did laundry on Mondays, and we kids would help her hang the clothes on the outdoor lines to dry. Rainy Mondays always threw her off because she had specific days to do different tasks. Tuesday was for ironing, but I don't recall which specific tasks she assigned to other days. She cleaned, baked, mended, sewed our clothes, darned socks, cooked meals, and volunteered at our schools & at church. We'd sit on the back porch together to shell peas, but Mom didn't let either my sister nor I help with cooking. We did take turns drying the dishes after dinner as she washed them carefully ... never trusting us with that task either. Occasionally she visited over the fence with neighbors, but for the most part was busy all the time taking care of the family.

My mother loved to play the old upright piano in our living room, and we often gathered around to listen and/or sing along. Later in life after all 3 of us kids were married and my had Dad died, she purchased a new piano and and large organ with multiple keyboards, stops, and foot pedals ... setting them up like Liberace and Corla Panda at right angles to one another so she could play each simply by turning on the stool. She watched them faithfully on television when we were kids, and took lessons as a senior citizen ... acquiring new skills with regular practice.

Possibly the time I'm spending at my computer is similar to the time Mom devoted to mastering musical skill, once she had the time to pursue that interest for pleasure. I suspect she'd wholeheartedly approve of me sharing my writing on these two blogs as she shared her music joyfully.

11 comments:

His Girl Friday said...

Thanks for sharing this, it's very heartwarming!! :)

Eve said...

Great mothers are much alike. Your description of your mother reminds me of my own. We spent many happy hours listening to her play the piano. One huge difference between the two - my mom insisted that we learn all the "housewifely" skills. We did laundry, we cooked, we baked bread, we ironed, and we did just about everything else mom did. She even taught us the best way to care for children.

storyteller said...

HGF - Thanks, I'm happy you found it so. The piece took on a life of it's own once I started writing yesterday, and ended up in such a fascinatingly validating place ... taking me by surprise.

Eve - After I was married, we invited my folks to dinner at our 1st apartment. Mom's response after a deliciously pleasant meal together (if I do say so myself) served in several courses was something like, "Where did you learn to cook like this?" Laughing, I told her that my obsession with reading had come in handy finally for I'd received some excellent cookbooks as shower gifts. 'Tis funny what we remember and what we choose to forget from our past. In some ways she was a great mom ... in others, not so much. I'm grateful for the relationship we forged (after facing some difficult challenges head on but honestly) when I was in my mid-30s. The last 10 years or so of her life, our relationship was uniquely special.
Hugs and blessings,

Maude Lynn said...

I have wonderful memories of shelling peas on the back porch with my grandmother when I was a little girl. Thanks so much for reminding me of that.

Kayce aka lucy said...

i love hearing stories like that of your mom especially that she had the gumption to do what she was really passionate about even if it was late in life!!

storyteller said...

Mama Zen - I'm happy to bring back your fond memories of shelling peas with your grandmother. I hadn't thought of doing this for years myself until my fingers typed the words here. Isn't it funny how that happens?

Lucy - Yes, she certainly surprised everybody when she did these things, but I know she experienced joy in her music and I felt happy she pursued her own dreams ... finally.

Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts.
Hugs and blessings,

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Lovely memories of your mother -- I absolutely think she'd be proud of you taking on the blogging world! :)

storyteller said...

MPJ - Thanks. I like to think so. Although my mom was traditional in most respects, an undercurrent of independence and determination showed up in unexpected ways occasionally. Though I see a lot of my mother in my sister, I suspect I'm more like Mom than I realize.
Hugs and blessings,

Annie Z said...

Your Mum sounds similiar to mine. My Mum still has laundry days on Monday. And other tasks are also always done on certain days. There is vacumming, dusting and mopping day, and also bathroom cleaning day!
And also the playing the piano and singing all the time!
Annie
xxx

Karen said...

Music was your mother's way of expressing herself creatively, and wordsmithing is how you express yourself--you're both creative! I'm glad you don't feel guilty about your computer time--we (meaning your friends) LOVE being exposed to your art!

storyteller said...

Annie and Karen
Thanks for visiting and sharing your reactions to my writing. I'm meeting young moms online who seem to have similar "routines" to how they get things done as they blog and/or work from home. Maybe I could take a lesson from them and establish some "routines" of my own? I do love this virtual world and the creative outlet blogging provides ... yet I sense I'll need to figure out ways to "balance" it with "real life" quite soon.
Hugs and blessings,