"We become what we think about." ~ Earl Nightingale

Welcome to Sacred Ruminations

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,


Monday, September 22, 2008

Monday Motivator #8


We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility for our future. ~George Bernard Shaw

Karen Maezen Miller (aka Momma Zen) shared her experience in a daylong meditation retreat (with a group of beginning students) called zazenkai in her post at Cheerio Road last night. She writes:

"During one of these retreats we don't do anything except keep company with ourselves. We're not putting blinders on. We're not imagining some future perfect world. We're not sitting in caves. We see the world sinking into insanity; we see the chaos; we feel the fear and disappointment in our own lives and surrounding us. We just practice keeping company with it, for a change. We practice staying put, for a change. We practice noticing our uncomfortable thoughts and feelings, for a change, instead of just impulsively clicking a button to feed the ravenous demons of distraction. This takes utmost courage, perhaps the only courage there really is. The courage to face forward and see how things go."
I share these links here
to remind myself & others

... just because.
Thought for Today
"Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy." ~Leo Buscaglia

14 comments:

Karen said...

This is a particularly powerful post--and certainly relevant in my own life. It's the hardest thing in the world, just sitting with what is--but I'm beginning to see that it's the only way to true peace. And I love the Buscaglia quote, too--he was such a lovely man.

BTW--have you seen my latest entry? The picture that I inserted into the post (and just took this morning, actually) is quite similar to the picture heading your post.

Mom Knows Everything said...

Wonderful post and the picture is so beautiful!

NicciN said...

Oh, I love the Monday Motivator sign you made. It is so peaceful. I have been thinking to go on a meditation retreat. Maybe I should.

Sylvia K said...

Beautiful as always and I love the picture! Thank you, we all need to step back and renew ourselves in this difficult world that we live in today.

SandyCarlson said...

This is a beautiful insight into the nature of meditation.

Maude Lynn said...

Perfect for Monday (or any day)!

Unknown said...

Facing forward, to the unknown is often the hardest and scariest. You're always full of such deep contemplations. Xo

Anonymous said...

Something about your post broght to mind my favorite writer on writing Natalie Goldberg.
She is also very involved in meditation.
Thanks for commenting on my moon mosaic.
It was made here
http://bighugelabs.com/flickr/mosaic.php

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Thank you for sharing.....beautifully written excerpt....

Momisodes said...

SUch a wonderful post. I also love the quotes you've shared. So much truth lies within them :)

Anonymous said...

Hey you. Amazing what you find when you look straight ahead!

Michelle said...

Wow, very deep, powerful and wise words. I can totally relate it to my life. These words are all so very true. I really enjoyed reading this post. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I love the Buscaglia quote. So true.

storyteller said...

To all – I thought I’d posted a response here already, but see that I haven’t … so I can only assume I was interrupted or distracted previously. I do appreciate each of you visiting and sharing your thoughts on my Monday Motivator post last week. It’s intriguing just how many of us in this ‘virtual’ world ‘resonate’ with similar issues and ideas. I’m fairly sure I’ve visited each of you recently, but will probably drop in again this week as usual … just because. I hope you’ve all enjoyed the weekend and are ready for a delightful day!
Hugs and blessings,