"We become what we think about." ~ Earl Nightingale

Welcome to Sacred Ruminations

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,


Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sunrise-Sunset#4 - BYBS#20 - Sacred Life Sunday


Sunset ... from my front yard
"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today."
Cherokee Indian Proverb

I was saddened yesterday to learn of the death of Paul Newman, something I mentioned briefly in yesterday's post at Small Reflections. According to Robert Forrester, Vice-Chairman of Newman's Own Foundation ...

"Paul had an abiding belief in the role that luck plays in one's life, and its randomness. He was quick to acknowledge the good fortune he had in his own life, beginning with being born in America, and was acutely aware of how unlucky so many others were. True to his character, he quietly devoted himself to helping offset this imbalance."
This morning's Daily OM message for Pisces is entitled Cherish the Unexpected and reads as follows:

"You may have to call upon your ability to adapt to ever-changing situations today. Being flexible and spontaneous in your plans might make it easier for you to go with the flow and get full satisfaction from your experiences. If your plans should change at any time today, instead of being disappointed you might want to look at these alterations as chances to explore or discover some new aspect of yourself and your life. Learning to be open to the variety of scenarios that life presents can help you be present in every moment as opposed to ruing the past or worrying about the future. Asking yourself what new things you can learn from being patient with everything life throws your way could make these new and exciting experiences more precious and dear to you.

Going with, instead of against, life’s plan for us enables us to encounter new challenges that compel us to grow in exhilarating ways. The more open we are to the unexpected, the more of life’s treasures we will find. Having room in our plans for last-minute changes means that we value and accept the fact that not everything in life goes as planned and that it is more important to live in the moment and not in our heads—because that’s where we are when we want everything to go our way. By adapting to each situation today, you will be able to cherish every experience as it happens."
Exhaling & feeling grateful for this reminder ... I find myself remembering unexpected circumstances in my own life ... where 'going with, instead of against, life's plan' proved difficult for me until I learned (through repeated experience) the amazing lesson of 'rowing my boat, gently (and merrily) down the stream' ... looking for & counting the many blessings born of 'unexpected turns' in my own life no matter what challenges arose.

Doing what I can with what I have where I am in the best way possible while remaining peace-filled became my walking mantra. As Don Miguel Ruiz tells us in THE FOUR AGREEMENTS, our 'best will vary on any given day' ... so I remind myself regularly to surrender 'worry & guilt' whenever they arise, realizing they serve no useful purpose and tend to drain my energy levels when unchecked. I recognize that my challenges pale in the face of those faced by others ... and I'm humbled as I realize ... there but for fortune, go I.

Recently I learned about the
amazing story of 'Monica' ... a 'Warrior Mom' ... on a recent Oprah Show featuring Jenny McCarthy, author of Mother Warriors and Louder than Words: A Mother's Journey in Healing Autism. After giving birth to her 2nd daughter, Monica was diagnosed with 'a deadly strain of bacteria ... necrotizing fascitis' (a flesh-eating bacteria) ... which caused doctors to remove her uterus, ovaries, gallbladder and part of her colon immediately ... and eventually to amputate both arms & legs to save her life. In all, there were 37 surgeries and 2 months of 'grueling rehabilitation' before she could return home ... and she spent much of the following year learning to do daily activities again. Apparently there are more surgeries ahead, but Monica says,

"I've come to the realization that things are as they are, and you have to move forward. Life goes on," she says. "There's no sense dwelling on it—that just hurts too much and you don't live your life the way you want to. And with a wonderful husband and two great girls, life is fun."
This morning I feel inspired by Monica ... Jenny ... and all those who choose to respond to overwhelming challenges with such courage and determination. Blessed Be ... and so it is.

For others who 'Blog Their Blessings'
go to My Blog Rolls and/or click on the logo
at the top of this post.
For those who participate in Sacred Life Sunday
click the logo below:
Thought for Today
"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift. That's why we call it the present. ~Babatunde Olatunji

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really need to start using that mantra of yours :) Beautiful, thoughtful post. Happy BYB Sunday and have a wonderful week ahead!

Sylvia K said...

Always find wisdom in your posts. and find wisdom and comfort in your mantra. There is always beauty to see we just have to open our eyes! Thanks for the gentle reminders!

Hootin Anni said...

Oh, this is just plain Gorgeous storyteller.

I'm going to have something for you on my blog on Wednesday. :::shhhhhh::: it's a secret. LOL

PERBS said...

I stopped by before having to catch the bus for church but guess I didn't leave a comment earlier so am back again. . .

I agree with you about our loss with Paul Newman's death.

Your blessing words ring true for all of us. Drop by and read about mine.

Joyce said...

I am humbled by Monica's story. Thank you for sharing that.

Also, Storyteller, I am glad to finally know who is responsible for the clever quote about today being a gift, and that's why it's called the present! <3

SandyCarlson said...

Having seen the unexpected at work, I am grateful a luminary like Paul Newman acknowledged its role in our lives. This was a beautiful post. Thanks.

Michelle said...

Such a beautiful sunset. It makes me feel all warm and peaceful. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I know life goes on but sometimes it is so hard to go along with it. You do find some of the best quotes. I would imagine it was hard for her in the beginning, at least.

Momisodes said...

What an inspiring post. I was not aware of Monica's story. I was incredibly sad when I heard about Paul Newman as well.

Thank you for sharing your sunset. I miss those Southern California skies.

storyteller said...

Thanks to all of you for visiting and sharing your thoughts on my Sunrise-Sunset/BYBS post this week. I hope you each enjoyed your weekend and that the week is off to a good start. I just returned from running errands after my PSE6 class and I’m eager to experiment some more with today’s lesson, but want to respond to comments and email first … then visit blogs before the day totally gets away from me. I hope you’re each enjoying a delightful day.
Hugs and blessings,