"We become what we think about." ~ Earl Nightingale

Welcome to Sacred Ruminations

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,


Wednesday, June 11, 2008

One Single Impression #15 - One-of-a-kind


The prompt for Week 15 is Pets

second of the five
canine friends who've shared my life ...
one-of-a-kind pooch

~ ~ ~

Remembering Charly
(1972-1988)
I have no digital photos of Charly,
but this image is similar to how I remember him.

Charly's an old dog
who has shared our lives
for sixteen years.

With royal features
and princely bearing, this tri-colored beagle
consistently captured the hearts
of adults and children alike
though he didn't usually return the compliment.

Headstrong
impulsive
standoffish
independent
opinionated
and occasionally downright grumpy --
Charly was one-of-a-kind.

As a baby-dog
he weathered frequent misadventures --
suffering a thorn in his paw while camping at Oak Grove,
leaping from the window of the VW Bus at Bass Lake
landing heavily on the hard-packed dirt in a state of confusion
right in front of the Ranger,
getting stuck on the far side of the stream at White Wolf in Yosemite
and having to be rescued by Ralph, the wonder dog.

He loved his big brother Ralph
wanting to be with him more than with us
and maybe now he'll get what we wants.

Weak
Charly doesn't eat
sleeps almost constantly
seems confused and disoriented when he's awake
-- as if he isn't quite all there any more ...
and so
we're compelled once again
to break our hearts
doing what's 'right'

I wonder if he will miss us?

by storyteller
December, 1988
Thought for Today
"Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." Agnes Sligh Turnbull

15 comments:

Olivia said...

My thoughts are with you, Virginia. I have been through this three times only, but clearly the most painful times of my life. I wish you the best...

Oops, now I'm seeing that this was many years ago. Still the pain lives on and the thoughts of love live on more, don't they.

I agree with your quote.

I learned what love was through my dogs.

Thank you for this memorial to Charly,

Love,

O

Raven said...

Beautiful post. I'll bet Charlie is watching over you still.

Raven said...

My apologies... I spelled Charly wrong.

Mike Golch said...

I wish I had some digital photos of all out "babies" I'd be shareing that as a memorial as well. I know I miss Cookie-my shepard mix.I miss all of the cats that we had as well.

Karen said...

I've been through this several times, but with cats--just as painful. I miss them as much as I miss the humans I've lost--they inspired just as much love.

Beautiful post.

zoya gautam said...

"I learned what love was through my dogs"_Charly
lives on Thank U..

Unknown said...

CHarlie sounds like a great companion! I'm sorry he left an empty spot. I still miss my precious JoZe too.

SandyCarlson said...

Charlie sounds like a pip. When you start out "second of five," you underline the fact that dogs come and stay for a while and are very important. It's not quite like having dozens of something. They are unique, special, friends. Thanks for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

Yes, he will.
How wonderful to have shared years with this dog.

maryt/theteach said...

A beautiful, sweet looking dog, Charlie is! :D

Momisodes said...

What a beautiful post. Charly seemed like a sweet dog. Losing a pet in the past has been as painful as losing close family.

Joyce said...

Charly sounds like he was quite the character. I can tell he was greatly loved, grumpiness and all. :)

storyteller said...

I’m delighted you enjoyed my ‘ruminations’ about Charly. Thanks so much for visiting and leaving your comments. Each of the dogs who have shared my life taught me unique and memorable ‘lessons’ … and there’s a special place in my heart for all of them. Of course, Molly adds zest to my life these days. She’s so exuberant that she keeps ME active … and that’s a good thing. She’s featured in today’s Camera Critters post along with a neighborhood ‘fur-friend’ … Hope you’re all having a wonderful weekend ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Betty said...

Awh, Charly was such a pretty doggie. I'm sorry for your loss.

storyteller said...

Betty – Thank you! Charly was truly ‘one-of-a-kind’ and I remember him with fondness even though he’s been gone for 22 years now. Losing him was difficult at the time because we’d lost Ralph just two years earlier. Each shared our home for 16 years … and fur-critters do light up life! I appreciate your visit and hope you’re having a wonderful week. I’m off to my Photoshop class soon, but hope to visit blogs later this afternoon.
Hugs and blessings,