"We become what we think about." ~ Earl Nightingale

Welcome to Sacred Ruminations

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,


Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sacred Life Sunday - Benefits of Advanced Age

Daily Meditation from
Keepers of the Wisdom
Reflections from Lives Well Lived
by Karen Casey

"I think women have come a long way. We have come into it by just stepping in and doing something that we were forbidden to do." Clara Glenn

"There are few things we are forbidden to do. That's one of the blessings of old age, regardless of gender. Family and friends aren't as intent on trying to control us as they might have been in the past. We have also earned the right, so to speak, to tackle whatever activities appeal to us now. We're not so afraid of failure as we might have been in our youth or when pursuing a career. And we don't care as much what others think about our choices or pursuits. There are a myriad payoffs to getting old.

Having the freedom to decide exactly what we want to do with the day or hour or summer is a real treat. We have earned this reward because of our willingness to do whatever needed to be done when we were younger. Most of us did far more than was expected of us on many occasions. Fear may have motivated us. It seldom hinders us now.

Excitement generally accompanies the anticipation of forbidden activities. Fortunately we don't have to relinquish excitement just because so little is forbidden any more. Excitement is a matter of attitude. We can have as much of it as we want. Whatever we set out to do today will benerfit from our willingness to get excited."


"I can be as fulfilled as I choose today --
whether my projects are

big or small."

10 comments:

Karen said...

I get overwhelmed when I read about all the problems that are associated with aging--the uncertainty of Social Security, saving for retirement, health problems, Alzheimers, elder abuse, being expected to continue to look several decades younger than your actual age, etc. For some reason, we're encouraged to get into a panic.

Well, I'm choosing not to. A new stage of life means an end to old ways. It also means new joys.

Olivia said...

I really like this Virginia...beautiful and inspirational to me today :) O

NicciN said...

I love this. I find it rather interesting since I went to a benefit this weekend for a documentary about Seneca Falls that some of my former students are in. I had not known about Seneca Falls before this weekend. That seemed sad to me and made me realize that there is a long history of women claiming their right to live on their terms.

storyteller said...

Karen – Amen to that! There are ‘challenges’ at every stage of life … but remembering those are ‘opportunities’ and looking for the ‘wonder’ in all things can make each moment precious and memorable.

Olivia – Welcome Back!!!!! I hope you had a wonderful vacation and I’m happy to know my Sacred Life Sunday post ‘resonated’ with you today.

Yertle – Seneca Falls has a rich history … and it’s good to be reminded of the beginnings of change for women in America. I’ve always admired the strength, dignity, and courage of women like Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Luretia Mott, and Susan B. Anthony and marveled at their tenacity in paving the way for women’s rights.

I appreciate all of you stopping by and commenting on my Sacred Life Sunday post this week. Thanks …
Hugs and blessings,

Momisodes said...

What an inspiring post. Often times I wish some of these things were true sooner in life. Such as the fear of failure, caring about what others think, and outside control. But I suppose it's a learning process, and if we aspire for these things, they can come to fruition.

storyteller said...

Sandy - I’m happy you found it so. One of the most amazing things about being 63 is that I don’t ‘feel old’ … yet there’s a sense of ‘freedom’ I wish I’d felt when I was younger. Perhaps another ‘benefit’ of ‘advanced age’ is an enlarged sense of ‘perspective’ and recognition that many things just don’t matter … so we can choose to focus on what does, letting the rest go more easily ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Betty said...

That's a beautiful picture. Of course, I love the thought for the day. So true.

storyteller said...

Betty – I appreciate your visit and comment so much. Thanks again for sharing the ‘computer graphic’ yesterday … it came in handy ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Hazel said...

i love those beautiful picture. have a nice day

storyteller said...

Hazel – I’m happy you enjoyed the picture and appreciate you visit.
Hugs and blessings,