"We become what we think about." ~ Earl Nightingale

Welcome to Sacred Ruminations

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,


Saturday, November 24, 2007

Patience, Problem Solving, and Peace

Apparently, working on the "photo grids" for my "yard reclamation project" series at Small Reflections (or the scanning & posting of the Zen Cards in my previous post here at Sacred Ruminations) has done something BAD to my aging Dell laptop. Of course, it's possible there's some other explanation for the problems I've experienced in the last 12 to 18 hours.

I suspect the issue is with "available memory" and I'll be working to resolve that today. I must confess that I'm relieved to be able to log on here finally, and am hoping for the best (as usual). Believe me as I share that I spent several frustrating hours last night (before giving up and logging off ... hoping today things might work better) and again this morning (from about 3am 'til 7:45am) when I started writing this post.

I've scrapped Saturday's post (the one I was working on & hoping to publish before logging off last night) and have decided to use these three Zen cards (selected purposefully out of sequence, but which seem appropriate here & now) to help me focus and do whatever's necessary to "fix" my problems and continue Blogging with minimal interruption :)

"PATIENCE
WATCH
water drop onto
the rock beneath it.
One drop
does nothing,
but many drops over time
create a hole in the rock.
Such is the POWER of patience."
Daniel Levin

So ... I've been practicing patience ... writing in my journal with my mechanical pencil, processing everything (a consciously cultivated habit I've used for decades to calm myself in times of trouble) ... observing my thoughts & emotions rise & fall as the computer backs up photo files to my Western Digital Passport Drive (although MOVING them off the C: drive is what I really want to do) so that if I do something foolish, I won't lose all my pictures (as a friend did a while back) with his photos.

With the fire burning in Malibu just 20% contained (49 homes destroyed and 27 homes damaged), I'm mindful of the "smallness" of my current issues. Nonetheless, dealing with them is necessary today ... and I'd like to remain as "complaint-free" as possible as I do what must be done.

"PROBLEM SOLVING
The way
to remove darkness from a room
is SIMPLY to turn on a light.
In the same way,
to rid yourself of any difficulty,
concentrate on the
SOLUTION
rather than the problem."
Daniel Levin


I'm aware I have options from which to choose and could:

  • use my normal "trial and error" methods to seek resolution
  • make an effort to find someone to assist and/or fix this problem for me
  • scrap it all and buy myself an early Christmas present :)
  • wait until my friends return from the road and enlist their help
  • mutter, grumble, complain, and feel sorry for myself
  • give up "blogging" and do other things I enjoy
There may be others choices also ... but for a long time, peace has been my primary goal, so whatever I choose to do will be that which creates and sustains peace in my heart, mind, spirit, and life.

"PEACE
To create peace in the world,
you must be
unruffled within.
Become TRANQUIL,
walk in stillness,
and
act in harmony.
The SERENITY that radiates from you
will create peace."
Daniel Levin

Prior to beginning this post, I've enjoyed my morning coffee with half &half, taken time to write in my journal, unload the dishwasher, make and eat some oatmeal, play with Molly, pull some weeds in my front yard, chat with some passers-by, breathe in the ocean air, start a load of laundry, and relax before selecting these cards to share. I'm confident I'll figure things out sooner or later. In the meantime, I'm choosing mindfulness and trusting that this too shall pass.

And now ... I'll post this and get started with problem resolution ... after wishing for you all a delightful day, wonderful week, and marvelous month between now and Christmas Day.
Hugs and blessings,



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

From a purely selfish point of view, I really hope you don't use the "give up 'blogging'" option. :)

In any case, it sounds as though you've moved to do what you can (protect your photos), have identified your options, and now it's a matter of waiting for the best one to make itself known to you. Operating from a place of calmness will go a long way in helping you figure it out.

Anonymous said...

One thing for sure, of the things you said: this too shall pass.

storyteller said...

Thanks to both of you for stopping by on a day when things in the Blogosphere moved slower than molasses. I appreciated your words of encouragement more than you know. Receiving gmail copies of comments was the only way I knew my posts were published on either of my blogs because my computer locked up frequently yesterday. Getting re-connected to comment here just didn't happen for me until this morning.

On the upside, things do seem better today, and I did accomplish some long-overdue shifting of photo files off my laptop onto an external hard drive so things should work better off-line too :)
Hugs and blessings,

wgasawoman said...

I am so happy that you did not choose the give up option. Your site is so lovely and thickens with each day. Wow, dear lady, you have softened my soul today and gracefully eased me out of my anxiety about not getting done all of the things on my big ass to do list. The poems and zen sayings are lovely and I will be borrowing some of the content for some leadership work I am doing with one of the hospitals.
Again, my heartfelt gratitude for what you are doing.

storyteller said...

Ah Sharon,
I'm glad to know you're alive and well ... and that you've found some time in your busy schedule to wander my way. Thanks for stopping by and leaving your thoughtful comments :)

Things are still moving quite S L O W L Y on my computer, but I'm taking that as a reminder to slow down myself ... do what I can ... and be content with "what is" ... trusting that all things work together for good. I am learning lots and have met some lovely people in this virtual world.

Feel free to borrow whatever speaks to you for you leadership work, and keep in touch whenever possible.
Hugs and blessings,